American University Reporter-General Assignment (14537) in Washington, District Of Columbia
WAMU is seeking a creative, flexible, and resourceful full-time reporter to help carry out its regional news agenda across broadcast and digital platforms.
The ideal candidate is an effective and imaginative storyteller with a keen sense of how to shape content to suit different audiences--both on air (via local newscasts, live two-ways, feature stories, etc.) and online (via WAMU.org and social media platforms). While the reporter will regularly contribute on-air feature stories, he/she should have a well-developed sense of how to create digital content that is compelling, sharable, visual, and impactful.
- The reporter serves as a member of the news team and reports to the Editor
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Required Education and Experience
- Degree in journalism or related field
- 3-plus years reporting for radio, TV, or online
- Top-notch writing and reporting skills
- Experience building a beat and developing topical expertise
- Experience with multimedia production, particularly photo or video
- Inscrutable journalistic ethics
- Hands-on audio editing abilities
- Impeccable research and reporting skills
- Experience with 1 or more content management systems (ideally Wordpress)
- Experience building audiences for content across social platforms
- Journalistic agility, or the ability to shift comfortably between writing radio scripts, online news articles, explainers, short and longer pieces
- Experience building audience connections using social media
- Experience mining social media platforms for story ideas, angles, and sources
- Willingness to try new storytelling methods, and adapt to changing platforms and audience needs
- Able to work collaboratively with others
Preferred Education and Experience
- Ability to write “sticky” headlines that quickly encapsulate a story
- Coding skills a plus
- Knowledge of the Washington region
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email AsuccessfulU@american.edu.
Nearest Major Market:Washington DC
Date: Mar 4, 2018
Location: Washington, DC, US, 20016
Company: American University