GW Medical Faculty Associates Patient Service Specialist - Surgery in Washington, District Of Columbia
Position Summary To schedule and register Medical Faculty Associates (MFA) patients; to provide effective customer service during the reception, scheduling, registration and cash collection process. Verify patient’s benefits and insurance coverage including any deductible or copay.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Greets and directs patients for appointments, tests, referrals and information utilizing effective customer relations skills and telephone techniques.
- Schedules patient appointments, tests and procedures using a computerized scheduling system; prepares appointment notices; schedules physician referrals inside and outside the MFA; provides patient instructions verbally or in writing in order for patient to prepare for appointment.
- Obtains, document and verifies patient demographic, financial and insurance information using a computerized scheduling system.
- Performs pre-registration activities to gather demographic information; determines medical insurance coverage; identifies patients with delinquent accounts; confirms appointments; and registers patients into a computerized system.
- Verifies patient’s insurance and benefit status by checking online system or calling insurance carrier. Document in electronic system active or termination status, deductibles & co-payments for current and future visit.
- Performs patient appointment maintenance activities, as necessary, to assure patient appointment history is accurate.
- Counsels patients on unpaid balances from previous visits prior to scheduling subsequent appointments.
- Collects payment due at time of appointment as well as payments for unpaid balances; prepares receipts for all monies collected; provides copies for reception area, billing office and the patient.
- Prints forms or reminder cards necessary to facilitate the patient encounter and daily operations.
- Works with physicians and nursing staff to facilitate the patient encounter and departmentally assigned responsibilities.
- Assists in answering inquiries regarding departmental and Medical Center services and provides information regarding procedures, rules and regulations pertaining to assigned clinical area.
- Provides indigent patients with lists of alternative medical resources.
Qualifications The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education High school graduation is necessary. Two years of college is preferred.
Experience Two years of experience in providing customer services is necessary. Customer service experience in a patient care environment, to include six months experience in patient scheduling, is preferred. Must have some knowledge of insurance guidelines (including figuring out benefits, deductibles and copays) and third party payers. Experience utilizing a computerized patient scheduling system or computer terminals is necessary. Medical Terminology is preferred. Typing skills of 30 WPM is necessary. Knowledge of IDX patient scheduling/ registration systems is preferred.
Competencies Ability to input data into the computer, and analyze data as requested. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to follow and understand instructions, and react favorably in all work situations. Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people.
Supervision Received Functional and administrative supervision is received two to three times per week from a departmental manager of Patient Services Specialist Supervisor. Administrative supervision is also received from the Director, Practice Management/ Chief Operating Officer MFA.
Supervision Exercised None
Requisition Number: 18-0106
Post Date: 3/16/2018
Title: Patient Service Specialist - Surgery