American University Managing Editor, Digital, Guns Project (14541) in Washington, District Of Columbia
WAMU 88.5, the leading NPR affiliate in the D.C. region, is searching for a Digital Managing Editor for a new national project. The Managing Editor, Digital, leads the digital content strategy for a collaborative reporting project on the role of guns in American life and works with Reporting Fellows all over country to ensure their work makes an impact online.
As the chief visionary for the digital content of the national project, the Digital Managing Editor will lead development of an audience-focused digital strategy, driving the agenda for how we present our journalism for online and mobile audiences.
The Managing Editor, Digital, will manage a data journalist and work alongside the project’s lead editor and associate editor to execute the strategy and drive engagement across all digital channels. With the mandate to experiment with digital storytelling, and a budget to match, the Digital Managing Editor will identify media partners to learn from and collaborate with.
The Managing Editor, Digital, also tracks trends and innovation, helping all project staff integrate new tools and practices in ways that advance the project’s mission. She/he will also support a new public media journalism fellowship by working with a Fellowship Manager to identify opportunities for professional development and training that expand the experience of a cohort of Reporting Fellows.
Come build something special and create important journalism on one of this country’s most entrenched issues. As a part of American University, we offer tuition remission, two-for-one retirement matching and good work- life balance. Our new offices are one block from the Van Ness Metro on the Red Line and feature amazing views over Rock Creek Park.
Our new colleague should share our passion for creating a fun, diverse, interesting team. This position is grant-funded for a term of 30 months, with the possibility of continuation.
- The Managing Editor, Digital reports to the Director of Collaborative Reporting and works on the Gun Violence Initiative project
- The Managing Editor’s organizational peer is the Associate/Remote editor
- The Managing Editor, Digital supervises the project’s Data Journalist
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, digital media, or a related field
- 7-10 years of experience in digital media or journalism.
- Passion for journalism that fulfills audience needs, integrates audience response, and prioritizes audience engagement
- Experience coaching and mentoring broadcast or print reporters in best practices for digital journalism
- Fundamental demonstrated understanding of and experience with content management systems, web development, and web design
- Experience and success directing the development of multimedia content such as video, audio, and social media graphics
- Experience driving social media strategy, monitoring analytics, and adjusting future plans based on performance
- Impeccable news judgment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational skills, and a demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Knowledge of and a commitment to the mission of public radio journalism
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in journalism, digital media, or a related field
- Experience managing a team
- Interest in working in a startup-like atmosphere, building a new product alongside a small team
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- This position is funded by a multi-year grant from Kendeda Fund
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of background check
- The Managing Editor, Digital, is a key member of the team building a new collaborative reporting project on the role of guns in American life
- In effect, we’re building a national newsroom with reporters all over the country working in tandem to deliver exceptional coverage on an entrenched issue
- Simultaneously, we’re building a new public media journalism fellowship designed to nurture a diverse cohort of public media journalists well-equipped to serve audiences in the digital age
- The Managing Editor, Digital, should be excited about the potential for innovative reporting on a difficult issue and about building a strong and ambitious future for public media journalism
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email AsuccessfulU@american.edu.
Nearest Major Market:Washington DC
Date: Mar 4, 2018
Location: Washington, DC, US, 20016
Company: American University