American University Assistant Director of Business Operations (12850) in Washington, District Of Columbia
The Assistant Director of Business Operations works under the direction of the Associate Dean for Finance and Administration. In consultation with the Associate Dean for Finance, the Assistant Director is responsible for the financial and daily oversight of the WCL’s non-tuition business activities, including grant and contract operations. Financial analysis around potential business growth is required, along with contract negotiations, monitoring contract adherence, and development of policies and procedures as necessary to ensure best practices for all business operations. This position works proactively with stakeholders to reduce costs and increase operational efficiencies and serves as lead on operation audits.
- This position reports to the Associate Dean, Finance & Administration along with Assistant Director of Finance, and Manager of Faculty and Administrative Support
- Manages and supervises one full time employee, Pre-Award Grant and Contract Manager, and one part time employee
- The position interacts daily with many campus stakeholders, including contractors, students, faculty, staff, and visitors
The Office of Finance and Administration is responsible for preparation of the law school’s budget $60+ million expense and $70+ million revenue budget
This position works to enhance and grow non-academic tuition revenues (i.e., conference revenue, space rental, certificate program revenue, grant and contract revenue), currently valued at over $7 million annually with the goal of increasing such revenue to provide additional operational resources
This position works under the direction of the Association Dean of Finance and Administration to secure operational efficiencies and improve business processes to maximize the value of WCL’s entire expense budget
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Required Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree is required with a concentration in Financial Management, Business Administration, or Accounting or related field or the equivalent in training or experience
- A minimum of eight years work experience in related financial and business areas
- The position requires a solid understanding of financial management, along with the ability to apply best practices to a variety of business functions and activities
- Computer literacy in spreadsheets and financial applications
- Highly developed interpersonal skills; excellent oral and written communication abilities; substantial problem solving skills
- Organizational skills, attention to detail, initiative, flexibility, adaptability, ability to work well in groups
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in daily operations
Preferred Education and Experience
- A Juris Doctor degree
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulUthrough the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email AsuccessfulU@american.edu.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market:Washington DC
Date: Mar 13, 2018
Location: Washington, DC, US, 20016
Company: American University