George Washington University Academic Scheduler in Washington, District Of Columbia
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary
The Enrollment Management and Retention Division – Graduate Enrollment Management, Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships, the Office of the Registrar, the Office of Student Financial Assistance, Undergraduate Admissions, Strategic Enrollment Initiatives, International Enrollment, and Enrollment Retention – works to enroll, retain, and graduate an ever more passionate, academically talented and diverse student body. Through the formal unification of our units, we have focused on building an organization that recognizes the distinct roles and expertise of each individual department, while also identifying and leveraging opportunities for collaboration. Most important, our goal is to ensure an outstanding experience for students – prospective and current.
The Office of the Registrar is dedicated to providing the best possible service to all members of the GW community. The office maintains academic records from enrollment through graduation and offers a wide range of services in the areas of classroom scheduling, enrollment verification, registration, requirements tracking, transcripts, and degree conferral. We support the university’s mission to promote lifelong learning by administering the various academic policies of the university and providing support to students, faculty, administrators, and alumni.
Reporting to the Director of Academic Scheduling, the Academic Scheduler is responsible for:
- Involvement in all aspects of the development and completion of the academic class schedule each semester according to strict departmental timelines, including exam schedules, and working with their specific academic departments to build accurate and efficient schedules and course sections.
- Ensuring that appropriate classroom space is assigned to scheduled classes; resolving conflicts that arise with scheduling by comparing and evaluating possible courses of action and making determinations after weighing all factors to include assessing the impact on the academic work of the university.
- Developing, overseeing and coordinating the academic class and exam schedules; and assigning classrooms space to academic courses utilizing EMS software.
- Monitoring Banner student information system and EMS (Event Management System) data entry and workflow issues. Resolving outstanding conflicts or problems involving reservation requests and/or academic scheduling (e.g. double booking of rooms).
- Serving as a consultant to Dean’s Offices and academic departments regarding effective academic class and exam scheduling, the use of the Banner student information system, the preparation and maintenance of data for term course offerings and schedules and policies on the use of academic space.
- Reviewing requests for use of general-purpose classroom space for events or meetings; ensuring adherence to university policies; and assigning space accordingly. Recommending, implementing, and monitoring policies regarding academic scheduling; processing for enhanced utilization of university general-purpose classrooms; and effective scheduling services to the GW community.
- Responsible for the event reservations for general purpose classrooms, including but not limited to, facilitating contractual agreements between the University and internal and external parties, space allocation; notifying key University departments of schedule events in accordance to the needs of the reservation; and maintaining solid and productive work relationships with various University departments.
The position is based at GW’s Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 1.5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Prior experience working in a registrar’s office or university setting, to include one year of class and exam scheduling experience is preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively on project teams.
- Demonstrate effective customer service skills.
- Demonstrate strong analytical, problem solving, multitasking, and detail oriented skills are necessary.
- Able to work in an open environment and handle a high volume of telephone calls and emails.
- Demonstrate ability to organize tasks, complete work and meet deadlines.
- Experience working with systems such as Banner or EMS in a scheduling or registrar’s office is highly desirable.
- Experience with a comprehensive computerized student information system, preferably Banner student information system as well as classroom-scheduling software is preferred.
- Ability to learn new technology and teach it to multiple constituencies.
- Ability to write procedure and end-user documentation, and conceptualize and implement process improvement.
II. JOB DETAILS
Non-Essential: Employees who are not required to work unless directed to do so by their supervisor.
Required Background Check
Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C.
College/School/Department: Enrollment Management
Family: Enrollment Services
Stream: Service and Support
Level: Level 2
Hours Per Week: 40
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa status. In order to gain a better understating of your experience, the professional experience section of your resume must include months in addition to years. For example, instead of “2014 – 2015,” it should include “April 2014 – January 2015” or similar information.
Internal Applicants Only?: No
Posting Number: S007123
Job Open Date: 04/04/2018
Background Screening: Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire.