Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Job Number: 2013-0210B
Job Title: Catholic Chaplain - Campus Ministry
Department: Campus Ministry, Law Center
Grade/Level: 10 - -$ 53,000.00-- $ 56,000.00
Date Posted: January 09, 2014
Duties And Responsibilities & Minimum Requirements:
Georgetown University has a longstanding commitment to cultivating the intellectual and spiritual life of its students, faculty, and staff. The Catholic Chaplain for the Law Center and the Medical Center is part of the interfaith Office of Campus Ministry and serves the sacramental, spiritual and pastoral needs of these professional communities through outreach, worship services, retreats, spiritual direction, religious education and faith formation programs and other services and events as needed.
Catholic Chaplainis a member of the interfaith Office of Campus Ministry and serves the spiritual and pastoral needs of these professional communities through outreach, worship services, retreats, spiritual direction, religious education and faith formation programs and other services and events as needed. As a member of Campus Ministry, this Catholic Chaplain must be comfortable operating in and contributing to an ecumenical and interfaith ministry environment. The Catholic Chaplain works in collaboration with the other chaplains to serve these the Law Center and the Medical Center, as well as upholds the values and ideals of Georgetown University as a Catholic institution in the Jesuit educational tradition.
* Serves students, staff, and faculty by providing pastoral guidance, spiritual direction, sacramental ministry, and faith formation programs; provides marriage preparation and celebrates weddings when requested (when at least one of the couple is Catholic; and acts as a resource for giving information on the requirements and gathering of documentation.
* Prepares for and celebrates liturgical services and preaching -- daily and weekend masses and holy days – and for occasional non-liturgical prayer services, memorial services and baptisms of children of members of the community or alumni who are not yet affiliated with parishes.
* Works with colleagues in preparing and celebrating Prayer In Daily Life Retreats during the year - toward the psychological and spiritual health of the Law Center community.
* Participates in life at the Law Center: Serves on Student/Faculty Life Committee and other various committees, participates in Orientation and Commencement, promotes the Jesuit and Catholic mission of the Law Center through programs and collaborative efforts with the Vice President for Mission and Ministry and the Law Center s administration, and participates in meetings with various constituencies that work towards improving life and relationships at the Law Center, attends functions sponsored by administration or student groups to demonstrate interest and solidarity with the community, and as needed, helps facilitate Lawyers in Balance Seminars in collaboration with colleagues from Student Affairs.
* Participate in other Campus Ministry events: meetings at the Law Center, the Medical Center, or at Main Campus, as required, and is supportive of events sponsored by colleagues.
* Ordained Catholic priest.
* Master s degree in Theology or its equivalent in a related field. Preference for being conversant in Catholic social teaching and current scholarship regarding the Catholic intellectual tradition
* Personal and moral maturity and a demonstrable commitment to continued personal growth.
* At least five years of ministerial experience inclusive of sacramental ministry, preaching/worship leadership, program planning, and pastoral counseling/direction -- experience on a university campus and interfaith pastoral care is preferred.
* Ability and willingness to work creatively in tandem with the other chaplains to build harmony and integrity within an interfaith ministry.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, as well as ability to work well and respectfully with all students, faculty, administrators and staff, of all or no faith traditions; and must be comfortable ministering in an interfaith/interreligious setting.
* Availability and willingness to provide extensive pastoral presence at various functions and activities at the Law Center.
* Computer proficiency, including email, Microsoft Excel and Word, and Internet.
Georgetown University is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.